Monday, November 2, 2009

FIJI 4

Day 80- 24/10/09
RAKIRAKI – NANANU-I-RA ISLAND (IT’S MY ISLAND!!)
Boat over to paradise.


Checked out of Volivoli Beach Resort at 11am and got a taxi boat over to Nananu-I-Ra Island, where I was going to learn how to kite surf for 7 days. Arriving in Safari Lodge- it only took 20 min to get there and on our way we could see these big villas right on the sea front owned by rich Aussies and Kiwis! Again Paradise!!! The view was incredible!!! It was so clear you could see the coral in the water and all the tropical fish. When we arrived the winds were high and perfect conditions for kite surfing, we were greeted by the owner Stephanie (Aussie) who showed us to our room, it was up a small hill and the view of the ocean again was incredible! Would you believe it, that we were the only people staying on the island; no one was there, it was totally empty. So we had the whole place to ourselves!! We went for a short walk along the beach front, we both loved it already here, and we just got a good vibe from the owner and the surroundings. Seeming that it was an island, there were no shops or villages, so we had to give in a shopping list and it will be delivered by boat the next day!!! So we had some amazing food in the lodge and hit the sack. (Can I just add the butterscotch cake was to die for, I would stay here for that alone!)

Day 81- 25/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND (Tom Hanks)

Woke up quite early for breakie. Wasn’t kite surfing today as the instructor was on holidays and was due in tomorrow. Danielle was so happy to see that they do yoga every morning at 7.30am which meant she could do a little bit of stretching and exercise as well. We headed for a walk around the island which only took 45 minutes, that’s how small it is. We found a deserted Resort on the other side of the island with a great big board walk.
I know I
The Resort has been closed for 2 years now but there are people still working on it for maintenance purposes. The pool is even still cleaned out every day and rooms cleaned, very strange!!! It was strange walking through the resort with absolutely no one in sight, with it in such good condition!! We found a great spot at the end of the board walk 300meters long, away from everything. I really wanted to go fishing but I had no bait, so the local said to me, kill a crab use it for bait, which will catch you a small fish, then use that for bait, to catch the big fish!!!! I thought he was taking the mick, but 2 hours later I got myself a big fish!!!! I felt like Tom Hanks from Cast Away!!! The place was so quiet you could hear and see all sorts of fish jump out of the water; I was in love with this island. Defiantly the most relaxing place we have been.


Day 82- 26/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND

This morning we headed off to our little piece of deserted paradise, I sun bathed and Rob caught a few more fish! Then in the afternoon Rob had his first kite boarding lesson with Guido (the instructor) and I went along in the boat as Rob’s personal photographer. He did really well today, learnt how to fly the kite in just 2 hours and got himself body dragging, that’s without the board. It looks amazing, so much so that I am tempted!! That evening we had dinner with the family, met Warren the owner and professional windsurfer, and the guys (Guido’s friends) entertained us with their drunken blabber (it is one of the lads stag do’s, they are here for a week so I reckon this is going to be a regular occurrence). That night we let off a few fireworks... better keep the rest for Halloween!

Day 83- 27/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND

I got up nice and early to do my yoga with Stephanie. It’s all coming back to me – love it! Then we headed out for Rob’s second lesson. He was out on the board today, he even got up a few times, and it was so cool to watch. Pretty tough I’d say, he looked knackered by the end of it and annoyed that he couldn’t kite like the others (eager beaver) but I’d say he’ll be up and running tomorrow. He’s pretty good already!
So that afternoon – after a yummy lunch and some delish choc cake- we chilled out and took the overcast afternoon off, watched Juno for the fifth time!
Then Rob watched the guys windsurf and kite surf (getting a bit of inspiration for tomorrow).

Day 84- 28/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND

I’ve even been dreaming about getting up on that god dam board!! Let alone keep my thoughts clear from standing on a sting ray! Today was the day; I was going to stand on that board! So we got all our gear and headed over to kite point, where the lessons were held. Guido was a fantastic instructor, patience of a saint and always very positive. There I was in the middle of the ocean, with Guido and Danielle in the boat beside me. Kite above my head at 12 o clock, pulled it to 1 o clock and then dragged it to 10 o clock, the kite caught the wind and I was up, not just for 2 seconds this time but for the whole length of the beach. It was a great feeling after all those body slams into the water to actually get up!! All I could hear is Guido, shouting and cheering in the back round!! Haha!! I am now hooked on the sport. So Olive and Ken, I’ll have a kite board, 12 m2 kite, kite harness and a surprise for Xmas!! Actually I’ll just buy it in Aus and I’ll send you the bill, Thanks!!!! Haha.
After Kite Surfing I was zapped again, it really knocks you around. It was great to have a big lunch after to re energise. My lessons were over but I might sneak in another 2 hours the next few days, if I’m lucky!!


Day 85- 29/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND

Today the wind was pretty low; apparently we are coming to the end of the wind cycle. So no kite boarding! Instead we go on a boat trip to the outer reef and head off snorkelling! It was amazing; the amount of tropical fish and colourful coral was just spectacular. Then this massive fish came up and pulled on my bikini… ha ha… no it was just Rob!! The water was so clear you could swim around the edge of the reef where you could see larger fish or swim directly over the coral only about a foot above it and see all the cute ‘nemo’ fish and star fish!! The water had pockets of cold scattered around the outer edge of the reef (seeing as I love the cold…not…Rob thought it would be funny to bring me out to one) but I think he quickly fixed the cold water situation… if ya know what I mean…no swallowing the water!!
After lunch we chilled out and headed over to the board walk… mmmm…. It’s so good there, so relaxing!

Day 86- 30/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND (ROUND IN CIRCLES)

We decided to walk the island today, there is an amazing deserted beach which was a 45min walk away, or well that’s what we thought!! The island had a small mountain on it, which was a good look out point. The scenery from the top was well worth the hike. It was a cracker of a day and you could see everything. Plus there was no one in sight, so we had the whole island to ourselves again. When we continued on to look for this deserted beach, we had difficulties. We could see the beach but getting to it was the difficult thing. Bushes and no tracks were the problem. When coming to a fork in the track we decided to go right, 25 min into the journey we were heading further and further away from the beach. So we decided to turn back and go the other way!!! So another hour later, on the hottest day in Fiji yet, we weren’t even close!! We couldn’t get down to it, so we decided to have our picnic that Danielle packed, under a dead tree, with ants everywhere!! Not the beach we imagined!! When heading back, with steam coming from my nose, the sweat was pumping out of me, kicking branches that got in my way! No doubt I was hot and bothered, until walking into spider’s web!! The web was so strong it was like walking into a fishing line, it didn’t even break. I thought to myself this could be bad!! I’m not a fan of spiders, so I jumped back to see a spider, that would have an Irish spider for breakfast, god it was huge. But it wasn’t on me!!! After letting off a bit of steam, from not finding that stupid beach, we rested on our now called “heaven” board walk for the evening. It was the lads last night and Guideo was going home, so we had dinner with them and a few drinkies!

Day 87- 31/10/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND

Today Rob had his last kite surfing lesson. Just to get him up and running. He’s got it now, kiting in both directions up on the board and also he got the hang of kiting up wind… apparently this is the most difficult because you are going against the wind, or something like that! After yoga I spoilt myself a bit by getting my hair done….desperately needed (and I know I said I’d go ‘au natural’ but come on…) Steph is a hairdresser so she popped in a few highlights and chopped of the dead ends!! It was perfect… Rob didn’t even notice…I think this is a sign that it’s a good subtle job… but maybe he wouldn’t notice anyway!! Ha ha!
That afternoon I got to send an email (it’s a big deal because there is no internet there) just to update the family on where we were and also wish Olive a Happy Birthday! Our time there was winding down so we had one last visit to our board walk and chilled out taking in the last of the sun that day. That night we finished off our tin of beans dinner… pretty sick of beans now …maybe we’ll go back to noodles for a bit!!

Day 88- 1/11/09
NANANU-I-RA ISLAND – NADI (STEWART LITTLE)

It was a wet night and cyclone season was coming, that explains the intruder we had last night!! Waking up to a rustling sound coming from the bin, I (Rob) jumped up half asleep thinking it was just the wind. But it was off again, I grabbed my torch (no electricity on the island did not make this procedure any easier!!!) Danielle at this point was telling me to “sssshh” and go to bed!! Smyth was on his own!!! Shining the torch at the bin the cutest mouse popped its head out!!! Well that’s what mouse lovers would think, all I wanted him to do was leave!! But he decided to run into the toilet, right into a dead end. So Smyth had to be brave and go in with the torch and sort him out! In I went, with Danielle’s flip flop (I felt it was heavier then mine!!) I could see him under the toilet, so I crouched down and banged the floor, he came running out and “BANG” I missed him by 4 inches, hahaha but it didn’t matter because he rolled over on his back and had a mouse heart attack and died, I was laughing to myself in the toilet at 4am with a torch, looking at this mouse that had a heart attack, I could only laugh!! So picked him up and flung him outside and made sure I didn’t wake up the princess sleeping haha!!!!!! It was time to leave Paradise Island, saying good bye to the family and owner, saying we will defiantly be back before we die. We travelled with Guido my instructor, and his mate Trent that was on a stag who was getting married in 6 days!! Too close for my liking!! Being lads, and doing what lads do best Guido stopped off at a shop and bought a case of beers and a few Alco pops for Danielle. The 3 hour bus journey went a lot smother then we imagined!! Trent hadn’t seen Denanrau Island (where we stayed in the Sheraton the first 2 nights) so we dropped off our bags to a hostel and we were on our way. After walking around the luxurious island, we found an electric buggy; magically enough my key worked and we were off!!! Driving around the resort, we explained that we thought they were for guests!!!!
This seems like the longest day ever, well it was for me!! We watched a Fijian show that night in our hostel and Danielle got up on stage and danced with other silly looking tourists with the Fijians!! The usual jumping into the circle and having a dance off!!! Very funny!!!! It seemed like 4am when we hit the leaba, but it was only 10pm haha but we did start at 11am!!!!


Day 89- 2/11/09
NADI

Today we headed into Latoka, the next town north of Nadi. It was pretty humid and packed with Indo-Fijian stalls selling all their spices filling the air with the smell of curry!! We walked around the market for a bit, munching on a quarter of a pineapple… yum!! Then we stocked up on noodles... it’s going to be our lunch and dinner for the next few days! Strolling down the road these two guys stop us and are so friendly to us, asking our name and where we are from etc. We thought well isn’t this nice, the Fijian people are so friendly! After a few mins of small talk they take out these wooden sticks with ‘carvings’ in them. (I had heard of this before, a total scam) the guy starts to etch into the stick my name, I immediately said no and laughed… but Rob hadn’t copped on and by the time he did (well his name is short) his name was written, so he had to buy it now… so my name was etched too! Rob offered $10, the guy was looking for $25, but unfortunately we didn’t have change and of course the guys only had a $5 note so we ended up paying $15 for a piece of wood with our name scratched on them!! Ha ha!! So now we were a little pissed off and it was increasing with the humidity!! Rob was looking for hooks and weights for fishing, we found a shop that sold them so Rob bought about 20… ha ha… he lost loads of them in Nananu-i-ra!! So we were at the cash desk waiting to get a box to put the hooks into, but the shop guy put them in a bag. So Rob asked again for a box but the guy blatantly ignored him… so Rob raised his voice and said it again...and the guy just looked at him blankly rustled around and then eventually said ‘oh, eh, no’… (We have to keep reminding ourselves that we are on Fiji time and that the Indo-Fijians tend to ignore you or suddenly forget that they understand English!!)
After our day in the town we headed back to Nadi for a nap!! It was very humid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment