Sunday, January 3, 2010

WESTERN AUSTRALIA-PERTH 1

Day 111- 24/11/09
NADI – PERTH AUSTRALIA (AUSSIE LAND)
Tuesday
It was the time we were waiting for “AUSTRALIA BABY”!! The hostel owner “Junior” politely gave us a lift to the airport at 7am in the morning. We stocked up on vodka at duty free before we boarded to head to Perth via Sydney! 4 hour flight to Sydney, I couldn’t help myself (Rob) looking out the window at the amazing view, landing. Landing on an island with the most dangerous insects, snakes and sharks was a worry, but hopefully we wouldn’t come into contact with any!! We had a 4 hour wait in Sydney Airport where Danielle got the second book of The Twilight saga!!!! The customs were fine, only a few pressies to declare and not as bad as the program makes it out to be! We caught the next flight to Perth, Western Australia. Country number 8, when landing in Perth we were welcomed by John the son of Geraldine and Julian. Geraldine and Julian are good friends of Conor and Gabrielle’s and they were very generous for putting us up, over the next couple of days. John took the tourist route home, viewing the skyscrapers of the city and the long beach fronts of the coast, no wonder people get wrapped up in Aussie land! It had everything, sun, city, beach, surf and cold beers!! When arriving at their home it was such a good feeling stepping into a family house rather then a shity hostel. The boys John and Conor had the typical Aussie accent but it was great to hear Julian and Geraldine still having a strong Irish accent after 29 years living in Perth!! We wined and dined over dinner and chatted through the night.

Day 112- 25/11/09
PERTH, AUSTRALIA
Wednesday
Conor had a few days off work so we were very lucky at the time we came. So he acted like our tour guide for the day and brought us around Perth showing us the different locations of the city. They call Perth “Boom town” because of the mining industry exporting so much. So the building going on was incredible, every corner there was a new hotel or sky scraper coming out of the ground, reminded me of the Celtic tiger!!!! Next stop was Kings Park, a great look out point over Perth. People jogging, walking dogs or having a picnic in the sun, it just felt like a feel good place to live. All probably because of that shiny ball in the sky! Next stop Fermantle, or “Freo” as Aussies like to call it!! This is the sorta party place, so you work in the city and party in Fremantle. We headed home after our personal tour!! We were invited to dinner at Little Creatures, which was a brewery and restaurant, which served great food, and had an amazing interior finish!

Day 113- 26/11/09
PERTH (FACE PLANT)
Thursday
We were up early to head off to Lancelin (130km north of Perth). As Conor was free of work he was happy to bring us to this favoured beach spot for wind surfers and other water sports! We got there and set up the car for some 4 wheel driving – let down the wheels switched from gas to petrol! Then we were out on the sand bumping over the sand when…. the car just stalled!! The wheels started spinning and we were starting to get a wee bit stuck in the sand. So out the guys get to dig us out and try get the car back on track. But with no luck! We kept skidding back towards the waves! This went on for a fair while and with ever stop you could feel Conor’s confidence slip… Rob was already shitting it, it was written all over his face! So then they decided to just drive backward to the harder sand… which meant heading closer to the waves! Well anyway it worked and we eventually reversed our way out of there and just parked up on the sand! It was my (Danielle) first time to body board… here we go! Firstly it was impossible to get out there with the waves constantly knocking me back; I was still wading in the water when the guys were already catching waves! Anyway I did finally get out there and Conor told me when to get on my board and paddle which meant I actually caught a wave….so fun! I screamed the whole way! Ha Ha! But unfortunately that is where my luck ended! I was like a rag doll in a sand tumble drier after that… I just kept getting knocked about and it didn’t help that I had a board strapped to my arm so when I did make it through the wave my arm was pulled back and I was pulled back in!! After a 5 min break watching the guys surf loads I finally plucked up the courage to head back in! Don’t know where this extra confidence came from but it was all slapped back in my face… literally! I went to get over a wave and stupidly put the board in front of me, but all a bit too late…. The wave crashed against the board smacking it into my face… bang – Face Plant!! Ouch! I thought I broke my nose or burst my lip! Ha ha! I know I’m a drama queen! But my whole face was totally numb! Rob was so nice running straight out to check on me, checking my nose all professionally and all that! He was like “I’m so worried, I’ve never seen you hurt because I have never seen you do sport!” We recovered with a picnic lunch, followed by a bit of sand boarding.
Then we headed back to get ready for Thursday’s boys night at Cottesloe Beach – steak and bear $12. We were introduced to Fi a friend of the Taylor’s, it was great to have her there and we were the only two girls crashing the boy’s night!

No comments:

Post a Comment